Plastic Machining Inc. has extensive experience in machining polyurethane molded parts and is able to make them to your specifications or help you design parts to fit your needs. Processing and machining of polyurethane molded parts takes place in a completely controlled environment, and complete records of our products are maintained. Excellence is built into every part that we machine.
For an affordable quote on your custom polyurethane molded parts parts, please e-mail us, call us at 888-761-4262, or use our contact form.
PMI has the capabilities to supply custom polyurethane molded parts. Polyurethane is a unique material that offers the elasticity of rubber, combined with the toughness and durability of metal. Urethane is available in a very broad hardness range; it can replace rubber, plastic, or metal while providing improved abrasion resistance and physical properties. Urethane has better abrasion resistance and tear resistance than rubber, while offering higher load bearing capability. Compared to plastic, urethane offers superior impact resistance, while offering excellent wear properties and elastic memory. Urethanes have replaced metals in sleeve bearings, wear plates, sprockets, rollers, and various other parts, with benefits such as weight reduction, noise abatement, and improved wear resistance.
Notable Material Features
- Abrasion resistance: Polyurethane often outwears other materials by many times in many applications when severe abrasion is a factor.
- Oil and solvent resistance: Polyurethane has excellent resistance to oils, solvents, fats, greases, and gasoline.
- Load bearing capacity: Polyurethane has a higher load-bearing capacity than any conventional rubber. Polyurethane is an ideal material for load wheels, heavy duty couplings, metal-forming pads, shock pads, expansion joints, and machine mounts.
- Tear resistance: The tear-strengths of various Polyurethanes range from 100 to 1000 lbs/linear inch, which is far superior to rubbers. As a result, urethane is often used as drive belts, diaphragms, roll covers, cutting pads, gaskets, and chute liners.
- Weather resistance: Polyurethane has outstanding resistance to oxygen, ozone, sunlight, and general weather conditions.
- Noise abatement/reduction: Hard urethanes are now being used as gears in products where sound reduction is desired. The soft urethanes are used to replace rubbers for improved sound/vibration dampening.
- Flex-Life: Most formulations of polyurethane offer extremely high flex-life and can be expected to outlast other materials where this feature is an important requirement. Dust boots, bellows, diaphragms, belts, couplings, and similar products are made from urethane for this reason.
- Electrical properties: Polyurethane has excellent electrical insulating properties and is used successfully in many molded wire and cable harness assemblies.
- Heat and cold resistance: Continuous use above 225°F is not recommended. Polyurethane is not recommended in hot water over 175°F. At low temperatures, polyurethane will remain flexible down to -90°F. Gradual stiffening will occur at 0°F, but will not become pronounced until much lower temperatures are reached.
Cast sheets are ideal for fabrication into a wide variety of products. Standard sheets are available in 12″ square sheets, up to 48″ square sheets in the following thicknesses: 1/32″, 1/16″, 3/32″, 1/8″, 5/32″, 3/16″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″ and 2″. Other sizes and thicknesses are available upon special order. Tolerances are: 1/32 to 3/16, +.010″; 1/4 to 3/8″, +/-.015″; 1/2 to 1-1/4″, +/-.025″; 1-1/2″, and over +/-3%.
Bar stock is popular for metal forming uses. The precise size eliminates the need for a matched female die. The material becomes the contact surface in forming, bending, or shaping metal without scratching or marring the finished product. Bar stock is also used as press-brake pads, bumper pads, and wear strips, and is machined into a great variety of prototype parts. Standard sizes are available 48″ long and in thicknesses of 1″ square, 2″ square, and 2″ x 3″. Custom sizes are available.
Cast rods are used for guide, drive, and pinch rollers and outwear conventional rubber rollers 20 to 1. They are excellent for bulge forming. Rod stock is used for prototype parts like gears, bearings, and bushing, and is easily machined to close tolerances. Standard rods are 36″ long and are available in diameters of: 1/4″, 3/8″. 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″, 2″, 2-1/4″, 2-1/2″, 2-3/4″, 3″, 3-1/4″, 3-1/2″, 3-3/4″, 4″, 4-1/4″, 4-1/2″,4-3/4″, 5″, 5-1/2″, and 6″. Custom sizes are available upon request.
Cast tube stock makes excellent roll covers when press fitted over metal cores. They are also converted into gaskets, seals, and rings. Tubes are well suited for prototype parts. Standard cast tubes are 36″ long and are supplied in several diameters (custom sizes are available upon request): Inside Diameter 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″, 2″, 2-1/4″, 2-1/2″, 3″ and Outside Diameter 2″, 2-1/4″ , 2-1/2″, 2-3/4″, 3″, 3-1/4″, 3-1/2″, 3-3/4″, and 4″.
Standard sheets are available integrally cast onto duck cloth (.048″ thick), permitting easy cementing to metal or other surfaces. This composite converts effectively to large roll coverings or chute and bin liners. Bond strength between the fabric and the urethane is excellent, and there is no strikethrough to the exposed side of the fabric. Sheet is stocked in 3/16″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 7/16″, and 9/16″ overall thicknesses up to 48″ square. Custom sizes and thicknesses are available upon special order.